The Grand Canyon B&B is a green Bed and Breakfast.
Here are some of the eco-friendly steps we have taken to ensure we leave a smaller mark on the environment. We hope you will use any of these green ideas (where possible on your property), and share with us your ideas and suggestions to help us become even more of a “green bed and breakfast”, and to help us all become better stewards of this beautiful and fragile Earth so it can be passed on to our descendants.
1. Construction and decorating our B&B was completed in 2005 with eco-friendly materials including double pane windows, structurally insulated panels which have extremely high R values, excellent insulation (using recycled newspaper particles), and siding made from beetle-killed Ponderosa Pine.
2. All B&B and personal laundry is done in-house, with low water/high centrifuge washers. Drying time is greatly diminished. Laundry is washed and rinsed on cold, with all stains pre-treated with environmentally friendly products.
3. The laundry detergent we use is biodegradable, produced in a neighboring state, and environmentally friendly. Our cleaners are made in-house.
4. Compact fluorescent bulbs are used throughout the B&B. Burned out CFB’s are sent to a special recycling center that reclaims the mercury so no discarded bulbs are placed in landfills.
5. Curbside recycling is used in Williams. Grand Canyon Bed and Breakfast recycles every product possible in our area: corrugated cardboard, aluminum, tin cans, paper, and plastic.
6. Purchases are made in bulk to reduce packaging waste and vehicle fuel consumption.
7. We love organic and local ingredients. Fresh fruit and vegetables are purchased from local organic farmers and natural food outlets.
8. Prior to the development of Grand Canyon Bed and Breakfast, the land had been denuded of the natural trees and shrubs. Since 2001, more than 500 trees, shrubs and perennials have been added to the property.
9. No potable water is used in our landscaping.
10. A waterfall and stream using area boulders was designed and constructed; it recycles grey water from our sinks, showers, and washing machines. This stream (along with the fountain in the backyard) has created a natural ecosystem for the property.
11. The flowering shrubs and plants were selected to feed hummingbirds, butterflies, bees, and bumblebees. It works!
12. An herb garden planted next to the grey water fountain outside the kitchen provides fresh flavors for the breakfast foods. It is also frequently used by migrating flocks of birds.
13. Whenever an item no longer functions for its designed purpose, the staff creatively looks for a different purpose. For example, towels and linens no longer in service for guests are used for personal needs, become cleaning rags, donated to shelters, or a quilt may become a wall hanging.
To make a reservation for a stay in one of ou guest rooms or family suites please visit https://secure.rezovation.com/Reservations/CheckAvailability.aspx?s=t5G4WW5Svr&__utma=42568051.842792251.1386695945.1389125465.1389129811.13&__utmb=42568051.1.10.1389129811&__utmc=42568051&__utmx=-&__utmv=-&__utmk=229692185
Tags: earth friendly bed and breakfast, earth friendly household, earth friendly lodging, earth friendly vacation, eco friendly bed and breakfast, eco friendly hotel, eco friendly lodging, environmentally safe bed and breakfast, environmentally safe hotel, environmentally safe lodging, green bed and breakfast, green hotel, green lodging